King Neighborhood Association

June 11, 2008

 

List of attendees (at end of minutes)

Quorum met

 

Agenda (Exhibit 1)

 

Minutes from May meeting (Exhibit 2)

One attendee raised a concern about the apparent lack of a quorum at the May meeting as required by the by-laws, i.e., should the board members have been selected? Jennifer Jardee-Boardquist clarified that only seven members of the association (residents and business owners) need to be present to have a valid vote, and that therefore the vote stands.

 

Corrections page 2

        Miracles Club has been in existence for 14 years not 10 years

        Guardian management clarified that housing will be 100% low income (minutes correctly capture what was stated at the meeting).

 

Minutes APPROVED.

 

Administrative issues

Charles Boardman solicited volunteers for 2 new committees:

        Land use committee: will focus on development and zoning. New members: Maureen Kenny, Bill Lucas.

        Outreach and communications committee: will establish a website and communications, outreach, and notification. New members: Bill Lucas, Sierra Gardiner, Trace Salmon.

 

Charles reported that last month the KNA elected too many at-large board members, but did not elect a Treasurer. Trace Salmon switched from at-large member to Treasurer to complete a full board.

 

The duties of Treasurer will take approximately two hours a month, plus event budget managing as needed:

Be in charge of all funds belonging to the Association

Receive, deposit, and disburse funds for the Association through the NECN

Make financial reports as directed by the Board

Maintain official financial records at NECN, consistent with public records law

 

Communications

There was a brief discussion of the need for communications and possibly a newsletter as a way for outreach. These topics will be discussed by the new communication and outreach committee. One goal is encourage more participation in the KNA monthly meetings. NECN has hired an outreach coordinator to help build capacity and prepare newsletters and outreach.

 

Relocation of liquor store into King Neighborhood

Sylvia Evans, Outreach coordinator for NE Neighborhood Coalition, reported on a petition to oppose the relocation of a state liquor store to near NE Fremont and MLK. There are concerns about parking (this is the same issue as in the former location and the same as the Interstate location) since all parking would be on nearby residential streets.

 

Citizens are also concerned about crime issues. There is a meeting on 6/12 which provides an opportunity for individuals to express their opinion. It does not appear that OLCC followed processes for notifying the neighborhood about the relocation.

 

Officer Sims stated that parking issues cannot be controlled by owner; and loitering was an issue at the previous location.

 

Residential development at Mallory and Skidmore (Exhibit 3)

Kerry Hampton, Portland Public School property development manager, reported on 2 available lots owned by PPS. He proposed that the Benson building trades program for students could build two homes there that should be ready within 4 years. The three bedroom two bath house the program has just completed has Energy Star appliances with hardwood floors; the program seeks to keep the homes affordable and large enough for families. The Board of Education will declare the site surplus this summer so that the homes can be sold when completed. Proceeds from sales of the homes go back to the building trades program.

 

Comments:

Recommend that PPS notify immediate neighbors of the upcoming home construction on the site.

Construction site needs to be adequately managed to protect local children.

Keep existing tree if possible.

Style should match existing homes in neighborhood.

 

Convention Center Urban Renewal Advisory Committee (URAC)

John Tyler is has recently been nominated to be a member of the Portland Development Commission Convention Center URAC. He has been part of the Vanport Public Advisory Committee for the past five years, and currently serves as the committee Chair. The PDC commissioners make the final decision on who the URAC members are. If he is appointed, John would regularly attend King neighborhood association meetings to learn about neighborhood concerns so that he can share them while participating in the URAC.

 

This renewal district runs from the Convention Center up MLK to Ainsworth; and along Alberta to 15th. Issues that might be considered and discussed at URAC meetings include: targeted urban development, incentives for activities, transit issues such as siting of new street car lines, etc.

 

AGREED

 

Request for funds for block party

Funding of $115 was requested for a block party on Garfield between Skidmore and Mason, June 22. Costs include barricades ($30) and food.

 

Proposal to support the block party with $75; invitations must acknowledge contribution from KNA. PASSED The block is encouraged to do some fund-raising during the party to reimburse the KNA account.

 

It was noted that the current KNA account consists of $10,000 which comes mostly from ONI and clean-up projects.

 

Action item: The Treasurer will propose a standard policy on KNA contribution to block parties. Future requests must be submitted some meetings prior to the event to give KNA an opportunity to consider competing budget needs.

 

Miracles Club report (Exhibit 4)

Herman Bryant and Ross Cornelius provided an update of the new Miracle Club relocation from MLK and Mason to MLK.

 

At the May meeting, it appeared that neighbors had not been informed of the detailed plans. The event room in the new building would be soundproofed, and the only access to the main floor club facility would be on MLK. The developer is working with nearby churches to provide event parking. Upstairs housing has a separate entrance.

 

Guardian Management and Miracles Club are working on a Good Neighbor Agreement to discuss hours and other concerns for a new facility. These discussions need to take place with the new neighbors for the new facility, and perhaps the local residents could be included as stakeholders during the discussions. KNA members are also welcome to attend MC board meetings. The neighborhood would like a contact list of responsible individuals.

 

The facility will be managed by Guardian Management which manages other low-income housing and is familiar with Fair Housing and tenant issues. It will not be a drug treatment center; it is rather a residential recovery program. By statute, residents have to be in a continuing program of recovery, and are not allowed to use drugs or alcohol offsite. No drugs or alcohol will be allowed on the premise.

 

Guardian Management and Miracles Club will be in a joint venture to screen tenants, maintain the property, and manage the books. They are considering requiring that most individuals be gainfully employed: residents will need to show proof of employment to qualify for the housing. Success depends on the Miracles Club and how they relate to the tenants. There will be a resident services coordinator on-site (perhaps someone from the Club). Miracle Club uses peer-to-peer mentoring.

 

Balconies will be on both sides of building, and will be subject to the same noise restrictions as residential property. It is not yet clear where the area for smoking will be located. The building will include some family size units and there may be a coffee shop/restaurant on the ground floor that is open to the public.

 

On-site parking will consist of 15 spaces for 38 units. The new drawing does not have a driveway opening onto Grand (this has been cleared with city departments of fire, transportation, and planning). Is underground parking an option for parking for events or retail establishments? That would require excavation or supporting piers and would be quite costly. There could be a walkway onto Grand or a fence along Grand, depending on discussions with the neighborhood.

 

Next steps: design review with the city; and a zoning review (conditional use) that requires notification within 400 feet.

 

Action item: Charles Boardman and Maureen Kenny will contact neighbors within 400 feet of the proposed Miracles Club facility to develop a consensus position from the KNA to take to the developers on issues that should be addressed in a Good Neighbor Agreement. Use Les Carry as mediator.

 

LIST OF ACTION ITEMS

 

The Treasurer will propose a standard policy on KNA contribution to block parties. Future requests must be submitted some meetings prior to the event to give KNA an opportunity to consider competing budget needs.

 

 

Charles Boardman and Maureen Kenny will contact neighbors within 400 feet of the proposed Miracles Club facility to develop a consensus position from the KNA to take to the developers on issues that should be addressed in a Good Neighbor Agreement. Use Les Carry as mediator.

 

Attendees:

 


Charles Boardman, resident (Chair)

Herman Bryant, Miracles Club

Ross Cornelius, Guardian Management

Sylvia Evans, NE Neighborhood Coalition

Gabrielle Foulkes, resident (Secretary)

Sierra Gardiner, resident

Ingrid Gjestvang, resident (Co-chair)

Anna Griffin, resident

Kerry Hampton, Portland Public Schools

Misha Hashitani, resident

Amber Hoffman, resident

Jennifer Jardee-Boardquist, resident

Maureen Kenny, resident

John King, resident

Scott Lanier, _______________

Bill Lucas, resident (At-Large Rep)

Kristen McKee, resident

Terri Pintarelli, resident

Korona Presley, resident

Trace Salmon, resident (Treasurer)

Officer Brian Sims, Portland Police

John Tyler, resident

Fred Zoller, resident