King Neighborhood Association

Minutes from Board Meeting

September 10, 2008

 

List of attendees (at end of minutes)

Quorum met.

 

Agenda   (Exhibit 1)

 

Minutes from August meeting

The minutes from August 13, 2008 were approved without changes.

 

Standing reports

Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods (NECN) - Sylvia Evans   (Exhibits 2-3)

Sylvia reported for Lauren McCartney on the small grants program for neighborhood and community-based organizations.  The program’s goal is to provide neighborhood and community organizations an opportunity to build community, attract new and diverse members, and sustain those already involved. For example, it could be used to entice people to come to KNA meetings; for a neighborhood party to share ideas or work on clean-up issues to address crime.  However, it does not include routine mailings.  The goal is to form partnerships within the community.    (For more information call Lauren McCartney at 503-823-4135 or attend an information session.)

 

The coalition is holding a communications roundtable meeting; the board chair will represent the KNA.

 

Public safety action committee meetings are held on the 4th Tuesday of the month.  Last month they determined that HEAT funding will be continued for the police.  (For more information call 503-823-4575.)

 

 

Portland Police report - Officer Sims   (Exhibit 4)

9th and Alberta issue – extra officers are focusing on the hot spot enforcement team.   The bureau is working with Celeste Carey and the Portland Department of Transportation and the market owner to address issues of parking.  The neighborhood is also working to address issues of garbage, lighting, noise, etc.

 

www.CrimeReports.com - a new website to view 9-1-1 calls in Portland on a map that is updated daily.  The site also contains statistics.

 

Gun recovery – reports show that guns are easily obtainable, especially through gun shows, and difficult to track. 

 

Last Thursday – the police bureau is still working to make the event move smoothly, especially when the vendors don’t want to allow street to open back up to traffic.  This summer has been a pilot with city involvement ending in September.  At that time the neighborhood will need to talk with the business community about sponsoring the event and meeting conditions (permits, staffing, notification, bus reroute, barriers, etc.). Celeste Carey will be facilitating a community forum to hear from neighbors and businesses. The KNA board could take a position.  (For more information call Celeste Carey at 503-823-4764.)

 

Please email Officer Sims directly with specific questions and incidents (for example, give addresses, dates, or other information that he can research):  bsims@portlandpolice.org or call the police non-emergency number at 503-823-5833.

 

 

Liquor store Good Neighborhood Agreement

The new operator of the liquor store at MLK and Fremont has an exemplary record and could be an asset to the community.  Celeste requested restrictions on Sunday and late service and single serving malt sales.  It would make sense for the license requirements to be the basis for the GNA, which establishes a framework for a relationship.  Celeste will be meeting with the owner and welcomes input and ideas from the community.  Suggestions could address issues such as trash and neighborhood watch.

 

 

Update on Miracles Club

Celeste Carey reported on “Crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED).”  The design is now reconsidering an open driveway from MLK through to Grand, which is not the preferred option for the neighborhood.  There will need to be continuing conversations with the neighbors, and possibly a formal position from the KNA.  Charles Boardman will set up a separate meeting to discuss the specifics of the Miracles Club proposal.  ACTION

 

 

Bioswale proposal   (Exhibit 5)

Trace Salmon (Board member and PTA member) is working with Sylvia Evans to make the school look more attractive, especially from the 7th street side (dumpsters now greet visitors to the school.)  Proposed bioswales would capture rain water and make the school building more friendly looking.  They intend to apply for grants from Bureau of Environmental Services and the Parks department.  When the team has ideas, they will seek support from the Board.

 

 

Should there be a clean up day for the neighborhood?

Past organizers indicated that clean ups for good for the community but they are a lot of work.  In a successful clean up, it is important to publicize the idea and encourage people to volunteer.  One approach is more targeted, where the KNA would partner with other agencies (Metro, Urban League senior program, Meals on Wheels, etc). to identify residents in need of clean up support.  A clean-up like this would be smaller and targeted for the elderly, disabled, etc. who need extra assistance.   Allyson Spencer will develop a proposal for submitting to the small grant program as a way to build community (i.e., this could be a good way to give a focus for the KNA for the coming year). ACTION 

 

 

Administrative issues

Treasurer’s report

The budget/finance committee hopes to formalize the budget process.  They will establish procedures for requesting funds, including a formal documented decision by the board to approve an action.  Generally then the treasurer submits a letter to NECN requesting funds.  KNA must create a log of receipts and disbursals kept in a standard place.

 

What kinds of expenses are anticipated?  Mailings and website development. 

 

Long-term planning

How can we discuss a budget until we know what the vision is for the neighborhood?  Do we need a retreat for vision building?  What kind of technical assistance would be available to help with board planning?  Discussions should include the vision for the land use committee and other standing committees.  Leslie Cormier, Allyson Spencer and, Ingrid Gjestvang will meet  at the facility on 10/1.  Charles Boardman will invite Lauren McCartney to facilitate and may invite a representative from another neighborhood association. ACTION 

 

Communications

Should KNA have a dedicated phone line as an extension at NECN for $6/month?  This topic needs more discussion and a proposal should be fully fleshed out (e.g., who would maintain, update, or retrieve the messages).  This should also be discussed in the context of the long-term planning mentioned earlier, which would set the parameters.  Trace Salmon is looking at independent web sites outside the city managed site.  This proposal would also need someone to manage and develop the site.

 

MLK Advisory Committee

Allyson Spencer reviewed Portland Development Commission communication about John Tyler as the representative for the Urban Renewal Advisory Committee, which meets 4x/year.  This committee provides a chance for PDC to share and listen during the planning process.  Some implementation is already occurring and a question has been raised as to whether the boundaries could be changed.  Allyson Spencer would like to be KNA rep on the committee.  APPROVED  Charles will write a letter to Oregon Convention Center Urban Renewal Area indicating that Allyson is the official KNA representative.  ACTION

 

Future agenda topics:  Next meeting 10/08/08

Should someone from the Association be a representative on the OLCC?

Invite Sarah King from PDC for an update.  Will PDC support a 24 hour Fitness at Vanport?

Neighborhood Diaries are project – Abraham Ingle

 

LIST OF ACTION ITEMS

·        Charles Boardman will set up a separate meeting to discuss the specifics of the Miracles Club proposal.

·        Allyson Spencer will develop a proposal for submitting to the small grant program as a way to build community (i.e., this could be a good way to give a focus for the KNA for the coming year).

·        Charles Boardman will invite Lauren McCartney to facilitate and may invite a representative from another neighborhood association

·        Charles will write a letter to Oregon Convention Center Urban Renewal Area indicating that Allyson is the official KNA representative.

 

Attendees:


Charles Boardman, resident  (Chair)

Celeste Carey, ONI

Leslie Cormier, resident  (At-Large Rep #1)

Sylvia Evans, NECN

Gabrielle Foulkes, resident  (Secretary)

Ingrid Gjestvang, resident   (Co-chair)

Officer Brian Sims, Portland Police

Trace Salmon, resident  (Treasurer)

Allyson Spencer, resident  (At-Large Rep #2)

Karen Trappen, resident

Irek Wielgosz, resident  (At-Large Rep #4)