Revised 12/20/08

 

King Neighborhood Association

Minutes from Board Meeting

December 10, 2008

 

List of attendees (at end of minutes)

Quorum met.

 

Agenda   (Exhibit 1)

 

Minutes from November meeting

The minutes from November 12, 2008 were approved without changes.

 

Standing reports

Update from Portland Police – no update

Please email Officer Sims directly with specific questions and incidents (for example, give addresses, dates, or other information that he can research):  bsims@portlandpolice.org or call the police non-emergency number at 503-823-5833.

 

Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods job announcement  (Exhibit 2)

NECN is looking to hire a part-time front desk receptionist through the Senior Community Service Employment Program, for up to 20 hours a week.  To apply contact Seniors Make Sense Services at 503-232-7684.

 

Public safety action committee

Charles Boardman reported that a police appreciation event will be held in December; there was no update on the catalytic converter project.

 

Discussion/presentation topics

Traffic safety issues on NE Killingsworth

Maureen Mimiaga reported on a recent meeting of the Land Use and Transportation Committee subgroup.  There is approximately $75k available from the Portland Department of Transportation for the entire stretch of Killingsworth between MLK Blvd and 77th, so only a small amount will be available for the King neighborhood, primarily for pedestrian safety.  At this time the committee representative from King, Maureen Mimiaga, is looking for input from neighbors.  Examples of the kind of projects that might be considered for funding include pedestrian refuges or curb extensions to help crossing, lighted crosswalks, or marked crosswalks.  However, one concern noted is that pedestrian islands can use up valuable parking spaces.

 

Fixing the fountain at the police station - no update

 

Youth Employment Institute   (Exhibit 3)

Madeline Lockwood described a non-profit in northeast Portland that provides services to youth including a GED attainment program at a small alternative school, job readiness programs and specialized services for young parents including case management and an onsite daycare.  YEI is looking for volunteers to come in and tutor youth one-on-one during the school day, especially in writing and math.  The organization is also looking for local businesses and organizations that are willing to provide job shadowing, job tours and other volunteer work experiences for youth in the program.  Madeline can be contacted by phone at 503-280-1058, x143 or at mlockwood@yei.org.  Also see www.yei.org.

 

KNA communication initiatives   (Exhibit 4)

Trace Salmon and Charles Boardman are exploring ways to provide an automated subscribe/un-subscribe email distribution system for the neighborhood and establish a website that looks professional and is easy to manage.  It is envisioned that the emails would include announcements of upcoming events, minutes, etc.  There will need to be additional discussion by the communication committee on the process for posting, notificiation, how to approve items, frequency of mailings, etc.

 

Motion – to reimburse Trace Salmon $210.42 for expenses incurred in establishing website and email set up.  APPROVED

 

Motion – to subscribe to Constant Contact for 12 months for $126.  APPROVED

 

Phone number discussion – Trace Salmon described a proposal to have a phone number (extension/voice mail) at NECN for a cost of about $6/month.  Such a service would have to be managed (i.e., recordings and retrievals) and the availability of the number disseminated.  An alternate proposal is to use a Skype account.

 

Motion – to approve a continuing expenditure for a NECN phone extension,.  APPROVED, with one abstention due to concerns about managing the phone.

 

Follow-up actions:

·        The communication committee will contact NECN and set up a process for recording and retrieving phone messages.

·        The Board chair will contact NECN to determine availability of assistance with USPS mailings for residents without access to computers.

 

Letterhead – the communication committee will develop a KNA letterhead for official correspondence.

 

Short Updates

Miracles Club - Charles Boardman is working on a draft Good Neighbor Agreement regarding hours of operation, lighting, parking, landscaping, and “recourse” protocols.  He noted that traffic for weekend functions will be accessed only on MLK.  Is there still an issue of the parking lot exit onto NE Grand?  Pedestrian access will be limited by key fob, to ensure access to fire hydrant.  KNA will review the GNA and suggest amendments.

 

Store at 9th and Alberta - Charles Boardman reported that tree trimming around near-by street lights is the responsibility of the owner.  The neighbors are considering ways to raise money to help the owner with tree. 

 

Follow-up action:

·        The Board chair will contact the previous board chair to see if the Good Neighbor Agreement for the store at 9th and Alberta can be found.

 

PDC Gateway Heritage Marker Program - Alisha Capuia reported that the next meeting in January will discuss visual options and locations.  Funding is available at this time for planning but not implementation.  The marker program will cover the corridor from the Grand couplet all the way to Columbia Boulevard.

 

MLK Liquor Store - The new store is open and operating.  The neighbors are also concerned about a nearby bar and may request information from the neighborhood association about preparing GNA.

 

PDC - is 24 hour Fitness still planned for Vanport? - Leslie Cormier reported that PDC hopes to have a lease signed in January.  The neighbors want mitigation for noise, trash, parking, access, etc.  If no lease is concluded soon, the neighborhood wants to see something done with the empty lot.

 

Bioswale stormwater project at King School - Trace Salmon reported that the project is on hold while planners are discussing maintenance issues with the school district.  The school district is researching options and coming up with designs that address issues of liability, crime prevention, and other criteria.  Trace noted that Vernon, Humboldt, and Woodlawn have comparable projects.

 

NE Going as a Bike Boulevard – after last month’s meeting there was some concern expressed about emergency vehicle access, the crossing at MLK, and shunting traffic onto other streets.

 

Follow-up action:

·        The Board chair will write a letter to the Bike Transportation Alliance stating the official KNA vote from the November meeting.

 

KNA position on streetcar route on MLK - Maureen Mimiaga has drafted a letter to the Streetcar Advisory Committee stating neighborhood support for the project.  The Board chair will sign and post the letter.

 

Follow-up action:

·        The Board chair will prepare a letter to the Streetcar Advisory Committee stating official KNA support for the project.

 

Farmers market pilot committee - Charles Boardman reported that there may be a farmers market at King School.  NECN is working with the Portland Farmers’ Market to assess general public interest and address the site location.  KNA is soliciting volunteers to help NECN. 

 

King spring clean-up working committee - Charles Boardman noted that he had solicited volunteers at the November meeting.  He will be contacting interested individuals to set up a meeting.

 

Discussion of community gardensIrek Wielgosz reported on an effort underway to set up a community garden in King.  If you are interested, contact Irek at panirek@yahoo.com.

 

King School park structures – the public schools and the parks department are working with crime prevention specialists to create a nice play space shelter from rain.  No update available.

 

PDC and Killingsworth Street Improvement - Charles Boardman reviewed the grant from Metro Regional Council to spruce up Killingsworth between Commercial and MLK (Phase 2).  The discussions will be coordinated with PCC which is expanding its scope.

 

Architectural Heritage Center (AHC)  (Exhibit 5) - Francene Crewe reported that the Bosco Milligan Foundation, owner and operator of the Architectural Heritage Center, is partnering with the National Trust for Historic Preservation, to expand preservation field services and technical assistance citywide.  AHC offers education programs and resources.  Visit their website at http://www.visitahc.org/.

 

The first step is to hold a series of meetings around Portland to collect information from residents who are interested or concerned about historic preservation in Portland.   This is your opportunity to speak out about all things both old and new.  Do skinny houses feel right in your neighborhood?  Do you want to preserve our historic structure, like Jefferson High School  Go to the questionnaire at: http://www.visitahc.org/files/Needs%20assessment%20questionnaire%20WEB.pdf .

 

Responses will be compiled into a report that will help AHC develop future preservation workshops and provide technical assistance and training for Portland residents interested in becoming pro-active preservationists!

 

Mail completed copies of the questionnaire to:

Val Ballestrem c/o AHC

701 SE Grand Avenue

Portland, OR 97214

 

Standing committee reports

Treasurer’s report –Trace Salmon reported that the account currently contains $8400 (before today’s approved expenditures).  There will be $1000 additional for communications this year.

 

Land use committee – board discussion of charter – no update.

 

Upcoming event:

Readings for children to target cultural diversity

Storytime at Reflections Bookstore at Killingsworth

Saturdays 11-11:30, starting 12/20, ages 0-4

 

 

Future topics: 

Results from ONI grant program

Groundwork Portland: brownfields in King        (Emerson Street Garden), Andrea Hamberg, Sybil Kelly

3/5/09 - Global Environmental Fair, Zapoura Calvert

Pianowerks music studio, Robyn Pfeifer

Grant writing workshop, Allyson Spencer

2/14/09 – King tree planting (sign up in January)

Update on communication initiatives (e.g., phone, website, emails)

Last Thursday – KNA and the permit, Rick Sills

Oregon Convention Center Urban Renewal Advisory Comm., John Tyler

 

LIST OF NEW ACTION ITEMS

·        The communication committee will contact NECN and set up a process for recording and retrieving phone messages.

·        The Board chair will contact NECN to determine availability of assistance with USPS mailings for residents without access to computers.

·        The Board chair will contact the previous board chair to see if the Good Neighbor Agreement for the store at 9th and Alberta can be found.

·        The Board chair will write a letter to the Bike Transportation Alliance stating the official KNA vote from the November meeting.

·        The Board chair will prepare a letter to the Streetcar Advisory Committee stating official KNA support for the project.

 

Attendees:


Charles Boardman, resident  (Chair)

Alisha Capuia, resident

Daniel Capuia, resident

Leslie Cormier, resident  (At-Large Rep #1)

Gabrielle Foulkes, resident  (Secretary)

Francene Grewe, resident

Michael Laus, resident

Madeline Lockwood, Youth Employment Institute

Bill Lucas, resident

Janice Lucas, resident  (At-Large Rep #5)

Maureen Mimiaga, resident

Jonah Perez, resident

Kendra Perez, resident

Keri Ridenour, resident

Trace Salmon, resident

Allyson Spencer, resident  (At-Large Rep #2)

Claudia Streng, resident

Matt Streng, resident

Bridget Sullivan, resident

Shirley Vidal, resident

Irek Wielgosz, resident  (At-Large Rep #4)