Proposed changes to North and Northeast Portland schools were released last week in the form of six scenarios. These are available here: http://www.pps.k12.or.us/files/enrollment-transfer/Jeff_PK8_Cluster_EB_Scenarios.pdf
There are two meetings this week that are important, but something everyone can do (even if you cannot attend the meeting) is to give your input. The best way to give input is by filling out the feedback form at this web link:
Please, share this with community members. They do not have to have children at the schools to have an opinion or valid ideas. Specific points to think about were mentioned at the school board meeting last night:
- how do you feel about the timeline being proposed (final decision by February, implementation Fall 2013)?
- how do you feel about middle schools vs. K-8?
- how do you feel about neighborhood schools (defined as 20 minutes walking or less)?
- would you/do you send your child to your neighborhood school? Why? If not, why not?
- do you believe that re-balancing efforts will solve the capture rate problem that PPS is trying to address?
The last two community input meetings will be held tonight at Beach School, 1710 North Humboldt Street 6-7:30 (in Spanish), or on Wednesday at Faubion School, 3039 Northeast Rosa Parks Way 6-7:30. Many people of the general community, families with young kids who are not yet in school, etc., are not included in this conversation.