As part of the City of Portland’s effort to provide properties with sewer connections that comply with city code, Environmental Services continues construction on the Inner NE Sewer Extension project. This project will also help protect public health, property, and the environment by increasing the capacity of the public sewer system, reducing the potential for basement backups, and reducing the likelihood of emergency maintenance work in the future.
A project map is available at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/InnerNE.
DEVELOPMENTS OF NOTE
Periodic traffic delays on NE Prescott will continue through mid-September
- On and off through mid-September, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, motorists and cyclists should expect delays on NE Prescott Street between NE 6th and 10th avenues. Crews will be installing new main public sewer pipe and constructing several manholes in phases. Some phases will require flaggers to direct traffic around the work zone.
Below is the estimated Inner NE Sewer Extension construction schedule for the rest of this week and the next two weeks. As the contractor completes work on each street, crews apply a temporary asphalt patch over trenches used for construction. They will return at a later date to apply permanent paving.
The rest of this week
- NE 6th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – main public sewer pipe, manhole, and lateral branch construction
- NE 7th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – main public sewer pipe and manhole construction
- NE 7th Avenue (Going to Wygant) – trench preparation and paving
- NE 8th Avenue (Going to Wygant) – trench preparation and paving
Week of August 25
- NE 7th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – main public sewer pipe, manhole, and lateral branch construction
- NE 8th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – main public sewer pipe, manhole, and lateral branch construction
Week of September 1
- NE 6th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – trench preparation and paving
- NE 7th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – trench preparation and paving
- NE 8th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – lateral branch construction, trench preparation and paving
- NE 10th Avenue (Prescott to Going) – main public sewer pipe, manhole, and lateral branch construction
Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials. There may be periods of inactivity between construction phases.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Please stay clear of all construction activities and keep children, pets and vehicles out of construction areas.
- Traffic control signs are in place. The contractor maintains local access, but you should expect delays.
- On-street parking in or near the work area may be limited. Please observe no parking signs.
- Equipment and materials may be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- A city inspector is on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors will be wearing a hard hat and a safety vest with “City of Portland” on the back.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Thank you for your cooperation during this project. Please let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical or business deliveries. As always, we’ll strive to provide quick response to your concerns, minimal disruption of your residence or commercial business, and open and honest communication with you throughout the project.
Community Outreach and Information
City of Portland Environmental Services
1120 SW 5th Ave, Room 1000
Portland, Oregon 97204