Mayor Hales is seeking your support for his proposed budget request to fund a comprehensive review and update of the City’s single-dwelling zone development standards.
Mayor Hales has directed the Bureau of Planning & Sustainability to conduct this review. Responsive to neighborhood concerns about the compatibility of new development, the 18 month project will include:
- Evaluation of how the scale and pattern of single family development varies across neighborhoods.
- Proposals for changes to zoning code provisions that affect scale and design of new single-family dwellings:
- lot coverage,
- setbacks, and
- required rear yard area.
- Update to rules and policies related to infill development on “skinny” lots.
- Update to rules to increase the types of infill units in single-dwelling zones to allow more households and a greater range of incomes to find housing in single family neighborhoods. This includes allowing flexibility that encourages innovative housing types and development.
- Evaluation of these proposals in terms of impact on housing supply, housing cost and development economics.
You may voice your support for funding this project in several ways:
- Contact Commissioner offices to share your support.
- Testify at the May 20 City Council budget public hearing at 6:30PM here in Council Chambers at City Hall.
- Letters to the editor of local media
We look forward to your engagement throughout the length of this project.
Office of Mayor Charlie Hales
City of Portland